what is a vision fast?
The twelve-day vision fast is a rite of passage which involves four days of preparation, four days and nights of fasting alone in a place of nature, and four days of incorporation. You will be prepared physically, psychologically, mentally, and spiritually for the whole program.
Your experienced guides are well acquainted with the terrain and conditions of the area and will make sure you have sufficient water while you are alone. Another person will fast in your general vicinity and the two of you will be 'buddies', each day leaving a sign of your wellbeing at a mutually agreed place.
You will then return to human companionship and sit in council where the guides, along with your fellow fasters, will listen to your story. The guides may provide reflections to assist your understanding of pieces of your experience, and offer encouragement to give 'practical feet' to elements you wish to bring into your life and community.
Gradually you will ready yourself to return safely home, perhaps with a slightly altered impression of the world around you and your place in it.
why would I go on a vision fast?
There are many reasons that you may consider undertaking a vision fast. These may include:
- Acknowledging the movement from one stage of your life to another, such as from adolescence to adulthood, marriage, having children, children leaving home, ageing or infirmity, and ultimately your death.
- The celebration of life or a way of being, consciously being grateful for your life and its lessons.
- Marking the death of a loved one, a way of being or an attitude that no longer serves you.
- Moving through a transition or change of something significant in your life, such as work, home, relationships, spiritual beliefs or attitudes.
- Claiming an aspect of yourself that may have been hidden away, forgotten or denied for too long.
- Giving yourself the gift of time, minus technology, to be totally alone and to re-engage with the elements of wind, sun, rain, earth and your own natural rhythms. Becoming more aware of how nature reflects back aspects of your own inner being.
A vision fast has traditionally been a way for an individual to consciously take time out and to mark or acknowledge their movement through a particular stage of life. This is known as a rite of passage, and all human beings are engaged in this process, whether it is a conscious or unconscious act. It is part of what makes us human. The growing invasiveness of our technological world and the disconnection we increasingly experience with nature have strong impacts upon us. One result is that these ceremonies that were originally conscious, transformative practices have been drowned out, disappearing from view or being lost completely as they sadly slip into the unconscious world.
The solo aspect of a vision fast, with its immersion in solitude and silence, offers a challenge that will allow you to claim the truth that has been growing inside. Such a ceremony doesn't mark what we wish were true, it marks what is true in our deepest nature.
Fear and anxiety are intrinsic elements of the journey, and while they may seem overwhelming, when we have the courage to face them they become the doorways we walk through to claim the uniqueness of who we are.
what we provide
We provide the substantial level of logistical and practical support that a nature based program of this type demands. While the very essence of a vision fast requires that an individual is prepared to undergo an appropriate degree of challenge, our primary concern is that they do this safely.
BTT Camping Skills Demonstration, Parts 1-3
young adult vision fast
Beyond the Threshold now offers young men and women the opportunity to confirm and celebrate their entry into adulthood.
Great value is derived from distancing yourself from what is familiar, going into the unseen within and the wildness outside, to begin the journey of finding, owning and being yourself wherever you are.
The increased self-knowledge and self-respect that result from participation in a vision fast has shown to have positive effects that prevail long into the future.
The essence of what is on offer is centred around the following:
- Nature-based: We contend that learning to connect and be immersed in nature, for a period of time is fundamental to your experience. Three days of solitude, without food, and simple shelter provides an opportunity to discover what it means to you to belong at the deepest level.
- Community spirit: Developing the trust to share who you are, your values, dreams and aspirations allows for strong, healthy relationships to be created. Indeed a community is formed where one establishes their place in relation to it, their land, the family you were born into, the place where you live and your wider community.
- Mixed gender: Young women and men engage to establish a wilderness-based camp, which will be home for a period of time. Learning to cooperate, to sit together, to listen and witness the profound gifts, and struggles that each one of us carry and to celebrate difference as well as common ground.
Is an experience with peers set in a circle with guides which can also include parent/s, significant others or other family members. One by one participants tell stories of their solo time that may have themes of:
The listening to participant stories is set in a non-judgmental environment with reflection being offered by guides in an effort to add further elements to the ongoing story.
- Heroic stories of confronting difficult emotions and facing personal dragons
- Complex stories - confusing and deep
- Stories told so as not to carry the burden of them into adulthood
- Aknowledging achievements, qualities and significant milestones
- Stories spoken with compassion that recognise parents/significant others for their humanity
- Stories that help heal issues related to one's childhood
get our newsletter
top five regrets of the dying
I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
"This was the most common regret of all. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made."
A masterful smith
Bestows the soul of hot steel
To hundreds and thousands of strikes of hammer.
The eternal earth
Entrusts the soul of solid granite
To the time of millions of years.
The spirit to protect
And the crystal to produce
That much of force
That much of cultivation.
Due to trials
Due to hardships
vision fast program
upcoming vision fasts
Future dates for 2017 to be announced shortly
Young Adult vision fast
all other vision fasts
We want to ensure that our programs are accessible to people with diverse financial means.
When you book, please choose the low, medium or higher program fee figure based on your personal income and keeping in mind that paying the lowest amount covers only basic costs.
Paying the medium and higher amounts will allow us to develop and grow as well as begin to develop a limited bursary fund for people on low income or unwaged, young people or people from developing countries.